Landfill Disposal Operations Management Trainee (South Florida)
Company: WASTE MANAGEMENT
Location: Pompano Beach
Posted on: March 19, 2020
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading
provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North
America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating
excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves
nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial
and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of
collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling
facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Disposal Operations Management Trainee (DOMT) position is part
of a required developmental training program lasting up to 18
months. The duties and responsibilities are under the direction and
supervision of WM frontline managers (e.g., Area Directors of
Disposal Operations, Landfill District Managers, and Operations
Managers) related to the operations of a landfill. The primary
mentor for this position will be the Landfill District Manager at
the training location to which the DOMT is assigned or the Area
Director of Disposal Operations. The DOMT, through assigned work
activities, a training curriculum, and hands-on projects, will
develop a strong working knowledge of all aspects of the day-to-day
disposal operations at a WM landfill, including but not limited to,
safety, environmental protection and permitting, finance and
accounting, personnel management, heavy equipment, community and
customer service, construction and engineering, gas and leachate
management, and waste streams and sales. The Disposal OMT training
program is designed to develop individuals into Operations Managers
and District Managers with a strong career path to Directors of
Disposal Operations or other roles.
YOU MUST BE WILLING TO RELOCATE UPON COMPLETION OF THE PROGRAM. It
is rare that there will be an open manager slot at the site where
you train. This will be explained and emphasized in greater detail
during the interview process.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Successfully complete the Disposal OMT curriculum consisting of
Foundational, Intermediate, and Advanced level training. Complete
all required training items through participation in the WM
Learning Management System.
* Attend and participate in all mandatory group training
* Disposal Operations: Responsible for the knowledge development
and progressive understanding and expertise in all aspects of
day-to-day management of a landfill, including, but not limited to,
fill sequencing, cover operations, waste placement and compaction
operations, equipment and labor deployment, storm water management,
and traffic flow.
* Develop a working knowledge of heavy equipment functionality and
maintenance care including actual operation and in-shop
* Learn how to effectively manage site personnel including
non-exempt operators through experiential efforts and training.
* Develop an understanding of landfill design and construction
including cell excavation and earthwork, liner cross-sections,
slope stability, geosynthetics deployment, leachate control and
landfill gas control systems and final cover cross sections.
* Develop proficiency and understanding in all aspects of leachate
and landfill gas management. Develop general understanding of
renewable energy operations and its relationship with the landfill
* Develop a strong sense of community affairs and community
relations management through actual participation in public affairs
events and processes.
* Develop a complete understanding of environmental monitoring and
environmental protection issues that exist at a landfill including
interaction with various regulatory agencies. Review and understand
regulatory requirements and site permits.
* Develop understanding of financial, accounting, and forecasting
processes and systems including experience in reporting to senior
management and showing proficiency in operations of the
* Develop understanding of how waste streams are sold and priced
within WM sales and marketing organization, and its relationship to
* Develop a strong understanding and dedication to the WM Safety
Program; work with Corporate and local safety teams to continue to
create an increasingly aware and observant safety conscious
* Participate in landfill operational reviews and provide
constructive feedback to operations staff.
* Participate in Area mentor programs.
* Perform other duties as assigned that may include special
projects and interim management assignments. Learning will be very
action and experiential based.
III. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
This job may have periodic leadership / management responsibilities
throughout the program.
The requirements listed below are representative of the
qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
* Education: Bachelor s Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree,
High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 (four) years of
relevant work experience.
* Experience: 5 (five) years of relevant work experience with
increased responsibility in construction, engineering, geology,
operations management or heavy equipment (in addition to education
B. Preferred Certificates, Licenses or Registrations
* PE (Professional Engineer)
* RLS (Registered Land Surveyor)
* PG (Professional Geologist)
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
* Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
* Must be willing to work various hours and weekends as
* Must be willing to work outdoors and/or in a maintenance shop
* Must be skilled in problem solving and conflict resolution
* Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills
* Must have exceptional time management and organizational skills
in order to plan days and meet all reporting requirements and
* Proven problem solving ability and successful conflict
* History of leadership achievements
* Ability to multi-task
* Strong analytical skills
D. Key Competencies Required
* WORK STANDARDS - Setting high standards of performance for self
and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for
successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing
standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
* SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE AWARENESS - Identifying and
correcting conditions that affect employee safety and environmental
* PLANNING & ORGANIZING - Establishing courses of action for self
and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
* ACTIVE LEARNING - Demonstrating zeal for new information,
knowledge, and experiences, regularly seeking and capitalizing on
learning opportunities; quickly assimilating and applying new
* COACHING - Providing timely guidance and feedback to help others
strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a
task or solve a problem.
* COMMUNICATION - Clearly conveying information and ideas through a
variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages
the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
* APPLIED LEARNING - Assimilating and applying new job-related
information in a timely manner.
* BUILDING STRATEGIC WORKING RELATIONSHIPS - Developing and using
collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of
* BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL TEAM - Using appropriate methods and a
flexible interpersonal style to help build a cohesive team;
facilitating the completion of team goals.
* CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT - Originating action to improve existing
conditions and processes; using appropriate methods to identify
opportunities, implement solutions, and measure impact.
* CUSTOMER FOCUS - Ensuring that the customer perspective is a
Keywords: WASTE MANAGEMENT, Pompano Beach , Landfill Disposal Operations Management Trainee (South Florida), Executive , Pompano Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!